Friday, November 2, 2012

Free Oil, Gas, and Electricity?

With cold weather and Christmas on the horizon now is a great time to start shopping and earning yourself free Oil, Propane, or Electricity to keep you and your wallet happy. 


There is a website www.neighboroil.com which started a rewards program, similar to Stop & Shop gas reward points, that rewards you with free oil when you shop online. They have also recently expanded to include Gas and Electricity.

The basis of the program works a lot like Ebates where retailers partner up with the company and offer you a certain reward value. With Neighbor Oil each retailer offers points instead of cash back so, for example, PBS.org offers 1 Point for every $1.76 spent in their store. They have a lot of different retailers to choose from so take a look around to see who offers the best point to $ spent ratio. They are working on a program so that you can shop in store and earn points but it is not available just yet.

Are you not totally sold yet? Well there are other ways you can earn points. After you create your free account you will receive 10 points! Hey, that was easy! After that, you can download the  Neighbor Oil toolbar. This is basically the same thing as the Ebates toolbar, when you are on a site that is partnered with Neighbor Oil it will notify you there are points available to earn. For installing the toolbar you will get 10 points. Share the current oil price near you on your Facebook and you will earn 10 points! Right now they are holding a promotion; for every friend you invite and registers you will earn 10 points!

*WARNING* In case you had the same thought process I did I wanted to warn you that you cannot combine Ebates CB (cash back) with Neighbor Oil points. I tried to have both toolbars installed and went to the Wal-mart site (as it is partnered with both) to see what would happen. One toolbar cancels out the other, so you can only use either CB or points.

Neighbor Oil also lets you use your points towards propane purchases as well. I have oil, so I am not up on the propane end of the site. There is a sister site www.neighborpower.com that allows you to shop online AND in stores to save money on your electric bill. When you sign up you automatically get $3.00 in credit. You can register your store cards and add offers to your account that will earn you cash credits when you buy them and scan your registered store card!

Christmas, Birthday, or everyday shopping these sites can help you cut down your bills! I will leave you with a quote from Kathy Spencer, "More money isn't the answer. Saving money is."

Are you already using Neighbor Oil or Power? Let me know the best deal you have gotten on a fill up!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,

    What is the point to dollar ratio? How many points do I need to see a significant change in my oil/electricity/propane price?

    Thanks!

    P.S.- Your Blog is very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jesus Saves,

    Thank you for the compliments, I am so glad to hear that my blog is helping people!

    This is a very good point that I should update in my entry, I think I was a little overzealous to get the word out. Each point = $.10 off your total fill-up price. They allow a minimum of 150 gallons and up to 1000 gallons, though I am not sure who has a 1000 gallon tank.

    There are retailers who offer a good point to $ ratio. I try to look for retailers who offer 1 point for $1 or under. The other thing to look for is offers. When in the Neighbor Oil Mall click on all retailers. When you mouse over the point to $ ratio it will tell you what each retailer offers. While looking through I noticed that 21st Century was offering 45 points just for getting a quote!

    I think the best way to look at it is if you are going to buy something online might as well go through Neighbor Oil and earn some money back towards your oil bill. Also by spreading the word to your friends and family you can earn Neighbor points and not spend any money.

    I hope this answered your question. If not let me know and I will be happy to explain more!

    Happy Couponing! : )

    ReplyDelete