Saturday, October 20, 2012

Christmas Shopping

I have a poll listed at the top of my blog wondering what everyone is more interested in learning about. Seems that Christmas shopping a topic you want to learn more about.

What I Do

When Christmas time comes around I make a spreadsheet and I list out the following by column: Recipient, What gift(s) I bought them, My budget, What I actually spent, and a check mark if I have purchased it. I have all the columns total at the bottom and make sure that my Actual spending total is subtracted from my Budgeted total to show me how much money I have left to spend on gifts. I also include my Ebates cash back that I have earned and add that to my total budget left to spend.

My goal when doing this is to have in mind the amount a gift should cost and plan to spend half of that. So, If I have budgeted $50 for Mary and I find a sweatshirt that is $50 but on sale for $25, that is perfect! By creating the spreadsheet I feel in control of my spending. Also it helps me keep track of what presents I got for everyone as I wrap my presents as I get them!

Online Shopping

Well, if you have been following along so far you know that I have a few favorite sites that can almost guarantee my Christmas budget get cut in half. We will start with online shopping and then move on to some actual store shopping:


  • Ebates.com- Offers you a % of cash back on purchases made with partnered stores through their website. This is a good overall tool to have in your back pocket no matter what purchases you are making. When you first sign up it gives you the option of choosing a gift card. When you get your gift card you can use it as a gift or stocking stuffer (free!). I opted for the $10 Target gift card. I added $10 to it and will use it as a Yankee Swap gift (1/2 Price!).
  • Groupon.com- Offers you local deals and goods for a limited time, most for 1/2 price! I love Groupon Goods. I think it is perfect for Christmas shopping. Most items are 50% off or more and have free shipping. They also offer vouchers for Restaurants or other businesses. The only thing about gifting a voucher is that the amount you paid for it is shown. So it depends on who you are giving it to and if you are ok with that. I have also thought to just black out the price. I know that they have great customer service and any problems are resolved very quickly and easily.
  • Living Social.com- Pretty much the same as Groupon but I feel they have more vouchers than they do goods. I do buy things here and there and so far I have had no issues. A neat feature they offer is the opportunity to get your purchse for free. After you buy something it will give you a special link to share with your friends. If 3 of your friends buy the product through the link you will get yours for free!
  • Totsy.com- Again, a lot like Groupon but it is geared towards children and moms. They have a wide variety of items clothes, toys, decor, ect... The prices are good. A lot of times I go on there and start to look at something and it is sold out which is annoying but they have some good deals on there.
  • Woot.com- Same idea except they have 8 categories; woot!, tech!, home!, sport!, kids!, shirt!, wine!, sellout!. Every day each category has a new deal and it will only last for 24 hours. I usually find higher priced deals than what I have budgeted. You will find a lot of appliances and electronics that are refurbished and marked down 50%- 70%. I saw a Dyson upright vacuum once for $299 retail $499.
  • Buy.com- This is like Walmart and Amazon combined. Through Ebates I get 6% CB (Cash Back) where I get 1% with Walmart and pretty much nothing with Amazon. I have ordered a few gifts through here already and have had no problems.
Store Shopping Tips

There are a few things you can do when shopping the stores for presents this year:

  1. In most stores the sale racks are in the back of the store. Make it your priority to work back to front. It is an easy way to start saving money.
  2. If you find something you like but feel you can't justify the price as a cashier if there are any coupons or store promotions going on. I was in Payless with my friend and she needed shoes. She found a cute pair for $30 but didn't want to spend the money so I politely asked the cashier if there were any coupons or promotions going on. Without even looking at me she said, "No, sorry." I replied, "Oh really? There are a pair of shoes that I would really like to buy but I just don't have the budget for them right now." She looked up and asked, "How much?" I said, "$30." She then handed me a coupon for $5.00 off $25 coupon. SO! It definitely pays to ask and let them know you want to buy something! The economy is bad and everyone is fighting for your business, take advantage.
  3. Make sure that you get a Sunday paper every week, it has coupons. Around the holidays they offer discounts on the subscription price and if it saves you 1/2 of your Christmas budget then it's worth it. There will be a ton of coupons that come in during this time plus all the flyers so you will never miss a sale.
  4. Look for coupons that say things like, "Buy Any Item, Get a $15 item free!" Try and find something small that you could use as a stocking stuffer and then get a $15 item to use as another present. The key, I think, is to look at a coupon and say, "How can I make this work so that I get it for close to nothing?" The goal with this kind of coupon is to get you to buy a $30 item and then get a $15 item for free. If you don't spend that $30 then you are saving.
  5. Coupons that say things like, "$10 off any purchase of $10 or more." They want you to spend "the more". Try and find something you can give for $10 and then you will get it for free.
  6. Black Friday shopping...will be a post all it's own.
  7. The last thing is, what I think, the most fun...after Christmas shopping. I will take my Christmas savings, that I have worked so hard to get, and go stock up on all the holiday supplies I need to make my holiday complete. You can get everything for cheap, it lasts for a couple of weeks and the longer you wait the more you save! I think the best part about after Christmas shopping is the next year when you take out all your wrapping and decorating supplies, it feels like a pre-Christmas just for me!
With money being so tight in the economy now Christmas shopping seems more like a burden and tends to take the fun out of shopping for gifts. There are a lot of ways to save on your Christmas shopping this year. I hope that this list gives you some good tips on how you too can save money.

 Leave a comment with any questions. Happy couponing! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment