Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Coupon 101: Vocabulary

I will use some shorthand in my posts. These are commonly used when you read other blogs about couponing. I wanted to put this together to help those who are new to couponing have a better understanding of what these mean. Most of the time I will explain what each of them means but it is helpful if you are browsing other blogs or websites for couponing tips.
 

Q- Coupon
MQ- Manufacture Coupon
SQ- Store Coupon
CAT- Catalina (The long coupons printed at the register)

OOP- Out of pocket
ONYO- On you're next order
BOGO- Buy one get one

WYB- When you buy
RP- Red Plum Insert

SS- Smart Source Insert
P&G- Proctor & gamble Insert

ECB- Extra Care Bucks (CVS)
WAGS- Wallgreens
RA- Rite Aide
Wine Tag- A tag that hangs from alcohol containing a coupon. Some even say "No Wine Purchase Necessary" and are often good for buying fresh produce or meats.
Peelies- Sticker coupons found on a product that you can tear off

Blinkies- Little red machines in grocery store aisles that have a blinking red light
Tear Pads- Pad of coupons near an item that you can tear off

I first learned of the complete list through a book that I read when I was starting out called, "How To Shop For Free" by Kathy Spencer. I bought the book at B&N for $14.95 and felt that it was a great guide to get me started. A lot of of my couponing methods came from reading her book. 

Her book is geared towards finding a great deal, buying as much as possible, and stockpiling. Personally I live in a 1000sqft apartment at the moment and don't feel that it would be good for me to stockpile. If you have a deep freezer that you use already or extra space to store dry goods/hygiene products than this is a great method to the madness. My approach is more of, what I feel, a realistic one; get great deals and save where you can. My goal is not to get everything for free (just yet) but to not pay full price anymore. 

Leave a comment with any questions. Happy couponing! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment